217 actors. 400 pages of script. 1 Log Lady
The March 31st issue of Entertainment Weekly promises to give Twin Peaks fans an “exclusive first look at the trippy revival” which is “not what it seems.” On its cover (in fact, make that three collectible covers), a tableau inspired by Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper.
From left to right we see Wendy Robie (Nadine Hurley), Everett McGill (Big Ed Hurley), James Marshall (James Hurley), Sheryl Lee (Laura Palmer), David Lynch (Gordon Cole/director), Kyle MacLachlan (Dale Cooper), Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey Horne), Mädchen Amick (Shelly Johnson), Dana Ashbrook (Bobby Briggs), and Peggy Lipton (Norma Jennings).
But you must also pay attention to what’s on the table: an owl, a cup of coffee, a log, cherry pie, stacked doughnuts… and a blue rose!
What else strikes you?
Several original cast members who will appear in the new Twin Peaks are missing, like Kimmy Robertson (Lucy Moran), Michael Horse (Deputy Hawk) and Harry Goaz (Deputy Brennan). And 400 pages does sound rather low for an 18-part series.
The EW cover also mentions a TV special called EW Reunites: Twin Peaks, which you can watch right here.
For those outside the United States, you may find copies of EW’s Twin Peaks issue on eBay.
Meanwhile, here’s a Twin Peaks version of The Last Supper from back in 2013.
Entertainment Weekly – Twin Peaks cover: The Hurleys (1/3)
Entertainment Weekly – Twin Peaks cover: Laura, David Lynch, Cooper and Audrey (2/3)
Entertainment Weekly – Twin Peaks cover: Shelly, Bobby and Norma (3/3)
What strikes me is that they are all in the Black Lodge. Also, indeed, why scan a cover when you can take a picture using a flashlight?
I’m excited to see what Twin Peaks is going to show me! Right now I have to get a damn fine cup of ??
The headline misleads as they reference The Last Supper. Besides Lynch, there are nine characters pictured. If you say “Last Supper,” I immediately think of the twelve apostles. From there I got to hoping the third cover was actually a secret gate-fold that would open to reveal Hawk, Andy and Lucy (twelve characters from the show). Alas, after watching the video of the photo shoot, that is not the case. They weren’t included. So why a Last Supper reference? It’s not as if lining up the cast at a table and having them face the camera is a new idea. Still excited to see the show return!
Yeah, I agree. There’s very little da Vinci here. Though I must admit that having David Lynch as the only one sitting down is reminiscent of the Last Supper.
That’s a little more like it, especially with only Lynch staring straight forward.
Some of the shifts in the position of the characters reflect the observations I made below. I’d love to hear your take on what I’m seeing.
Some of them may be two characters in one?
if you count the owl and the log, there’s 12.
What I notice (#8 has a spoiler from The Secret History of Twin Peaks):
1. Audrey is sharing a tender embrace with her Very Special Agent. Will those two finally be getting together after 25 years of longing? I find myself hoping so…
2. Norma and Ed are on opposite sides of the full image. Norma stands alone, while Ed has his arm around Nadine. Have Twin Peaks’ star-crossed lovers finally accepted their fates? If so, was the break-up cordial or embittered?
3. There is a whole, uncut pie on the right hand side and a single slice of pie on the left hand side. Where was that slice taken from?
4. The Log is sitting close to Norma. I’ve often thought that Twin Peaks has always had a “Log Lady,” someone who serves as a shamanic connection to the Lodges. Indeed, given her psychic sensitivities, Laura might have been being groomed to take on this role prior to her death. Has the Log been passed to Norma instead as a totem of power and authority? If so, why?
5. Shelley’s breasts still look awesome… *blush* Sorry, that just slipped out!
6. David Lynch is there as David Lynch, not as Gordon Cole (no hearing aids).
7. Audrey is wearing a ring on the middle finger of her left hand. Given its location and bulkiness, it’s probably not a wedding ring. Is it the Owl Ring?
8. Norma is wearing a ring as well on the ring finger of her left hand. It looks more like a standard wedding or engagement ring. She divorced Hank (and he died in prison). Has she remarried? Or does she keep the ring as a reminder of Hank?
9. Shelley also has a ring on a chain around her neck. Is it the one she got from Leo or did Bobby give it to her? if it’s from Bobby and they are married (his posture seems to indicate that their romance has continued), why isn’t she wearing it in the traditional fashion?
10. Laura is touching James on his shoulder. Does this mean that, somehow, their doomed romance has been rekindled (all the couples are touching in some fashion, after all)? If so, what happened between James and Donna?
11. I have way too much time on my hands…
Wow Rob wow!
Thank you. As I said, I am have way too much time on my hands. On the other hand, if I were not distracted by such things, I would probably end up being a Bond villain…
Formica table. Green is its color?
It certainly looks like a table from the Double-R…
You’re welcome: https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17504429_10208262830633328_7966343627360066671_o.jpg?oh=919fa4843683639fcf58f3d77e57b8d6&oe=596A9944
Well, Nadine is still looking daggers at Norma and Ed looks like he’s restraining Nadine, so at least that hasn’t changed. Audrey and Cooper seem very chummy. Of course, James is still dark and moody. *sigh* Bobby and Shelley actually look happy, which is a good sign.
Take a look at my observations above. I’d love to hear your thoughts on them.
One more observation: there is a book on the table in front of James. Laura’s diary, perhaps?
Did you see the blue rose? Just realize it was laying there when i looked at the Simpsons’ version of the picture.
Peggy Lipton is 70 years old… 70… whatever she’s ingesting, can I have some?
The Lodge is the only possible explanation…