Julee Cruise may be getting company from Sky Ferreira and Chrysta Bell at the Roadhouse, and Nine Inch Nails could very well be the new house band at the Power And The Glory. And maybe the FBI enlisted a new batch of rock and roll agents like Eddie Vedder and Trent Reznor since agents Chet Desmond (Chris Isaak) and Phillip Jeffries (David Bowie) mysteriously disappeared.
But instead of writing and speculating about the numerous musicians on the mammoth Twin Peaks 2017 cast list, I decided to present them through a mixtape featuring their most David Lynch-conjuring work. Opener “Powder Blue” by The Cactus Blossoms, for instance, effortlessly evokes Blue Velvet’s title sequence. You’ll detect hints of Angelo Badalamenti in Trent Reznor’s cinematic instrumentals, or even direct Twin Peaks quotes in Sky Ferreira’s “Night Time, My Time.” Admittedly, “Nothing As It Seems” by Pearl Jam was selected because of its title, yet it emerges out of Chromatics’ Last Wish as if it was hiding in there like… BOB?
David Lynch himself pops up more than once, playing the guitar on Chrysta Bell’s “Real Love” and “Swing With Me,” and on Rebekah Del Rio’s “No Stars” which he co-wrote with John Neff. And how else to conclude this eclectic 82-minute mixtape than with a song by one of his favorite artists and basically the precursor to Julee Cruise’s “Falling,” Elvis Presley’s “Can’t Help Falling In Love” covered by… Monica Belucci!
The majority of these 25 tracks are by recording artists and/or their bands we get to see -whether on stage or not- in the new series, but it also includes songs performed by new cast members that just fit the mixtape’s dark and melancholic mood. One thing’s for sure: many of these musicians would’ve never shared a track list if it wasn’t for the series coming back! So enjoy this trip through the cast of Twin Peaks 2017 and who knows, it may provoke some visions of new mysteries…
Twin Peaks fan? Like moody, brooding dream pop punctuated by occasional bursts of frenetic jazz and experimental noise, topped with a dollop or two of vaguely creepy golden oldie? Well then, this is the perfect packet of artificial sweetener to drop into your Friday morning grind.
Twin Peaks 2017 Cast Mixtape
- The Cactus Blossoms (Jack Torrey & Page Burkum) – Powder Blue
- Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – It Catches Up With You
- Sky Ferreira – Night Time, My Time
- Chrysta Bell – Real Love
- Richard Chamberlain – All I Have To Do Is Dream
- Robert Jones (Caleb Landry Jones) – But She Don’t Really Mind
- The Veils (Finn Andrews) – Candy Apple Red
- Trent Reznor – Videodrones & Questions
- Chromatics (Ruth Radalet) – Last Wish
- Pearl Jam (Eddie Vedder) – Nothing As It Seems
- Au Revoir Simone (Annie Hart, Erika Forster & Heather D’Angelo) – Let The Night Win (C U P remix)
- How To Destroy Angels (Trent Reznor & Mariqueen Maandig) – Hallowed Ground
- Jennifer Jason Leigh – Almost Blue
- Chromatics – Disintegration
- Solardrive (Balthazar Getty) – Where We Go From Here
- Chrysta Bell – Swing With Me
- Sharon Van Etten – You Know Me Well
- Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – What Have We Done To Each Other?
- Au Revoir Simone – Boiling Point
- Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor & Robin Finck) – 8 Ghosts I
- Nine Inch Nails – 5 Ghosts I
- Rebekah Del Rio – No Stars
- Julee Cruise – I Float Alone
- Monica Bellucci – I Can’t Help Falling In Love
- Eddie Vedder – Dream A Little Dream
Perfect soundtrack to disassemble a TV to!