Gordon as "witty" Playboy is lame

Page 1 / 2 Next
(@roberto_bella)

Kinda reminds me of Trump, somehow assuming his geriatric cleverness is attractive to much younger women. The answer is usually purely financial. Though it could be that the French gal is an escort.

There's also the suggestion that he and Tammy may be messing around.

It feels a little like Lynch is trying to supplant Good Coop as the detective hero of the show somehow. While adding an old-man-who's-still-hot vibe. Not buying it.

(I'm also tired of seeing old men father babies who will never know their fathers past their 20s b/c dad will be dead or in the old folks home. It's a selfish thing to have kids when you're 60. I'm looking at you Mr. Trump, Mr. Lynch, "Bones" Jagger. Even my musical hero James Taylor. Just cut it out. :-> )

Let the flame war commence haha

Posted : 31/07/2017 12:30 pm Jocelyn Rowe and laughingatsky liked
(@matthew_gladney)

I'm not going to touch the Trump/political references, because that's not what I come to this forum for, but I will admit to rolling my eyes at the whole 'old man still pulling younger women' theme that is so present in our pop culture.

Did you notice how the warden (who isn't a young man) had a little boy? That actually halted the scene for me, in that it had me thinking: Um.... he's got a son that young?

Posted : 31/07/2017 12:40 pm Nikolaj Nielsen liked
(@judy)

The obvious artistic comparison would be to Woody Allen.

Of course Trump, Jagger, JT et al do prove that this phenomenon does occur in real life (just not to FBI suits or Brooklynite nebbishes).

Posted : 31/07/2017 1:03 pm
(@badalamenti-fan)
Posted by: Roberto Bella

There's also the suggestion that he and Tammy may be messing around.

Let the flame war commence haha

Not interested in a flame war.  I find character flaws creeping into the show's putative hero to be extraordinary compelling for how it inverts the male "anti-hero" trope/archetype that has dominated so-called "prestige tv" since The Sopranos. That is to say, love for the typical "male anti-hero" entails being seduced, as a viewer, by a charisma that "trumps" our misgivings about the male lead's amoral behavior (e.g., Tony Soprano, Don Draper, Walter White).  Too often, IMO, uncritical male viewers perceive these "anti-heroes" as actual role models, as if "badassery" were a virtue to be emulated for its own sake.

Special Agent Dale Cooper was an archetypal hero from another era, albeit a quirky one.  Dougie Jones Dale Cooper, to me, represents/gives expression to the loss of innocence we have undergone, as a society, since the original series. To love a womanizing bad guy for his charismatic "naughtiness" or disregard for others' values is the kind of cynicism that leads to to the "let it all burn" worldview of certain among Trump's supporters, I suspect.

Posted : 31/07/2017 1:04 pm Murat Erol Özkan liked
(@my-dharma-is-the-road)

I did find it weird, but I think it'll be relevant to the plot. She's manipulating him for some reason, so I think it's meant to make him look stupid, rather than like a cool guy who can still pick up young girls. There's been suggestions that she might be lodge-related.

Posted : 31/07/2017 3:35 pm Murat Erol Özkan liked
(@floatinghigherandhigher)

I read in other forum that the girl that is with Gordon might be another LIL?

Could be. I wish she was, but accordin to Albert's face, that seems unlikely.

Posted : 31/07/2017 3:43 pm
(@suer_greg)

I tend to think that it is also DL making a little joke at his own expense.

Posted : 31/07/2017 4:07 pm Jocelyn Rowe, Lynn Watson and Pantstrovich liked
(@pantstrovich)

I don't think Cole is being depicted as a witty playboy here. Maybe he thinks he is, but I'm almost sure the French woman was an escort. If not, probably another Lil (informant from FWWM), that only he is aware of.

As for Tammy, I think he is just flirty because he likes women. Remember the conversation with Denise?

Posted : 31/07/2017 4:15 pm
(@the-conversation-is-lively)

It's just such a backwards depiction of a brainless woman only interested in makeup. I know it was supposed to be funny but it really grated on me. I would not mind if I never saw another woman depicted like this in TV or film ever again.

Posted : 01/08/2017 1:12 am Roberto Bella and Lindsey Elizabeth liked
(@nikolaj_nielsen)
Posted by: charlesheld

The obvious artistic comparison would be to Woody Allen.

It mostly happens to very rich (old) guys 😉

Posted : 01/08/2017 5:21 am
(@pynchjan)

He doesn't seem to be very witty/all that charming, & she seems to be indulging him. Remember Albert suggestion to Tammy a couple of scenes earlier to "ignore the strange man."

Posted : 01/08/2017 5:40 am Pantstrovich liked
Posted by: Matthew Gladney

I'm 58, my son is 7, my daughter is 6.  It happens.

Posted : 01/08/2017 6:42 am Myn0k, elesea-honu, Bela Moschkovich and 2 people liked
Posted by: Roberto Bella

There's also the suggestion that he and Tammy may be messing around.

Let the flame war commence haha

See my above comment.  Consider yourself flamed.

Posted : 01/08/2017 6:44 am Myn0k and OctavioLemos liked
(@lucas_bracci)

Same girl with James Bond (Skyfall - 2012) :

Posted : 01/08/2017 7:50 am
(@lynn_watson)

Oh, I actually thought it was a bit of a piss-take on the whole James Bond type stuff...
It was just done in such a cringe-worthy way.   My other half said he thought the French character was a woman acting as a man would portray a woman - for whatever strange reason.

Posted : 01/08/2017 8:15 am Bela Moschkovich, Maurice Dumont, Badalamenti Fan and 3 people liked
Page 1 / 2 Next