Season 2 Episode 1.

(@s0methingvagu3)

I want to open up some discussion about this scene in Season 2 Episode 1. Apologies if it has already been discussed.
I did have a search for it, as the scene was playing in the back of my mind during Episode 8 of the Return and assumed it would spark some interest, but I aint found anything yet.

So here goes, take a look at this image. It is bad quality but the scene moves really quickly, so when I paused it is blurred.

I am of course referring to the significance of the Giant, the golden orb he fires into Cooper, and his words, "You forgot something". Is this an example of Lynch finding inspiration from his earlier works for Episode 8, or signs of a bigger, more intentional interconnected story?

1499286013-cooperorb.png
Posted : 05/07/2017 4:20 pm Eric Peters, Olof Bandh and Lady in the Radiator liked
(@haxan_l_morningstar)

For what is worth, I'm never inclined to buy the "bigger, more intentional interconnected story" (or its close cousin "the story is already figured out), especially when it's about stuff that came out so long after the original.

And it's not because of my decade of George Lucas-induced bias, either: it mostly has to do with the fact that, as a writer, I'm used to look at ideas as something with an 'expiration date'. A few weeks, or a few months if an idea is really good - but, after that period, it begins to feel stale (I think I never saw a single idea staying exactly the same, to its core, for A year, let alone 25). I'm also accostumed to the fact that, the second you start writing a story, the story begins to change. All the little creative shifts and input that go on during the writing process are generally far more fertile and satisfactory than whatever you planned.

There's no doubt in my mind that Lynch and Frost had things they wanted to do in the original show but couldn't due to network imposed limitations and the such, and now are seizing their chance to do those things with the new show. I also deeply believe that most (if not all) of DL's work is interconnected (for example, someone on this board just pointed out how the 'obsession' with the atom bomb dates back at Eraserhead (1977) itself): I just doubt that an idea he had in 1991 stayed exactly the same right up until now.

I have the fury of my own momentum

Posted : 05/07/2017 5:34 pm SomethingVague liked
(@helpdougie)
Posted by: s0methingvagu3

My friends and I were having a similar discussion about DL yesterday:  does he sometimes insert random ideas (say, just for fun) into TP or is there a deeper intent in almost all he does?  I think "both":  random idea (Wally Brando, who I doubt we'll see again) and interconnectedness (the gold orb in proximity to the Giant, as you pointed out.)  I think every(little)thing DL does is done on purpose.  Whether he picks up an idea later may not be as important to him as the idea's introduction to the script.

Or something like that.

...and a glass of water, sweetheart, my socks are on fire!

Posted : 05/07/2017 5:58 pm elesea-honu, SomethingVague and Häxan L. MorningStar liked
(@s0methingvagu3)
Posted by: Help Dougie
Posted by: s0methingvagu3

Or something like that.

Thanks a lot for your articulate and thought out responses. I think my own thoughts lay somewhere in between both of yours. I definitely feel a consistent theme, in which very strict ideological ideals are kept to, but I also feel like there's a lot of improvisation and happy coincidences which drive forward fan-thinking !

Posted : 05/07/2017 6:04 pm elesea-honu and Häxan L. MorningStar liked

25 plus years ago he cast his reel into the Black Lodge & pulled out some big fish ( Bob, Mike, the Arm ). They came to him because he was open to it. Other director's reaction: "Oh no, Frank is in the shot! OK, we're doing a re-shoot!"

Posted : 05/07/2017 11:12 pm 1stDragonarse, Zack Sisson and SomethingVague liked
(@moonchild)

Yes exactly as Karen said.... he always said directing for him was like fishing...he would sit in silence and wait for a big fish/idea to come to him and then he would put it in the show because he knew one day he would use it....

it happened with Frank Silva but also with Madeline, with the Log lady and with most of the small details in the first episode.

The most amazing thing I read about this was one of Anderson's interviews where he said that they were turning the CONVENIENCE STORE scene and the generator at the back (next to the woodsman) kept blowing up...they did the scene 3 times and nobody could fix it.

Then Lynch got up from his chair and said: "Michael I think the problem is what you are saying....to Frank....it doesnt sound right. Try and say it this way" And they changed the script and the generator didn't blow......

That's a bit spooky...but maybe Lynch really believes electricity is everywhere...

Posted : 06/07/2017 6:01 pm elesea-honu and 1stDragonarse liked

"Eeeee-lec-tric-i-teeee!"

Posted : 07/07/2017 11:20 pm 1stDragonarse liked
(@justine)

I was just wondering about this scene. We hear the "Tibetan bowl" sound, and the Fireman also says, "A path is formed by laying one stone at a time." It feels like there is definitely some significance here to events in TPTR. Thanks for bringing it up!

Posted : 09/09/2017 6:52 pm