James has always been cool

(@caemeron)

That was fantastic!!

Posted : 06/08/2017 9:03 pm
(@jeffery_m_thompson)

Yeah my words exactly.

Posted : 06/08/2017 9:04 pm
 Jack
(@jack)

I'm maybe one of the few people that actually liked the original scene of James, Donna and Maddie singing together.  I was like 18 or 19 at the time, and was into Lynch's music with Angelo Badalamenti (Industrial Symphony etc), and always thought it was amazing how a director who could film so much violence (Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart) could write such beautiful lyrics such as:

"The trees beside the sidewalk, are shadowing the light, of distant stars, and tenderly, the night surrounds us..."

And

"Love, don't go away, come back this way, come back and stay forever"

And of course,

"Just you, and I, together, forever, in love."

So when I first watched that scene 27 years ago, I was well aware it was a Lynch directed episode, and there was something so amazing about it.  James' high pitched voice, 2 beautiful women sitting beneath him singing with him, and of course, it was written by Lynch and Badalamenti.  I thought it was a beautiful moment, and remember, we were deep into the mystery of creamed corn and hospital food (imagine that!), so it was a nice diversion.  Until James and Donna left Maddie alone.  And then BOB came.  Into the Hayward living room, which was one of the locations in Twin Peaks that I felt safest, and of course, Lynch ruined that, beautifully.

So seeing James perfom his song again, was actually a beautiful touch by Lynch I think.  I've never understood how so many people hated that scene and that song.  Once Season 2 went off the rails in places, and James had his Evelyn Marsh storyline, well, that was disappointing.  But I'll never forget listening to that artificially high voice of James the first time.  And hearing it again brought back a lot of memories.

Posted : 06/08/2017 9:38 pm
(@damien_crowley)

Lynch and Frost actually did it. It really happened. Unbelievable lol.

Posted : 06/08/2017 9:45 pm
 Jack
(@jack)
Posted by: Damien Crowley

Lynch and Frost actually did it. It really happened. Unbelievable lol.

And wasn't it great!

Posted : 06/08/2017 10:19 pm
(@pynchjan)

Bliss

Posted : 07/08/2017 4:02 am
(@steve_moss)

That was cool.

Posted : 07/08/2017 4:51 am
 FWWM
(@fwwm)

This was the primary reason for bringing back Twin Peaks, surely.

Posted : 07/08/2017 5:33 am
Posted by: FWWM

This was the primary reason for bringing back Twin Peaks, surely.

Hilarious comment.

Posted : 07/08/2017 5:38 am
FWWM liked
(@friendofedstow)
Posted by: Jack
Posted by: Damien Crowley

Lynch and Frost actually did it. It really happened. Unbelievable lol.

And wasn't it great!

Yes it was!

Posted : 07/08/2017 5:55 am
(@meaxylon)

I was among those who hated that scene in the original run. I remember reading posts here where it was jokingly suggested that James would get to sing his song at the Roadhouse. So when I realised what was happening I found it both unbelievable and hilarious at the same time.

To my surprise, I loved the performance this time around. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

Posted : 07/08/2017 5:55 am
(@murat_erol_ozkan)

I found this song wildly out of place,  given the problems of Sarah, Audrey, Ed, and Bobby that show that there is no space given in the world for true love and desire to develop, if James really is true to what he is saying he would have this problems here too(we will see if he has dealt with this in the 25 years, but I doubt it, that not his modus operandi).....those who enjoy there have golden shovels(Shelly, Norma, Red, Mr. C/billionaires, etc.), things are not that simple, desire causes problems (Audrey) needs commitment, etc., and the world is against it, telling you to 'compromise your pies' for some gold.....

Not to mention this song is about 'just you and I', true love, and he sings it to two girls....., cannot work like this, completely compromised one girl for the other, cannot be genuine love.   James seems like just cares about his own narcissism, moves from one girl to the next with his golden shovel, he was supposed to love Laura, in one day he buried her 'broken heart' and went right to Donna....

Posted : 07/08/2017 6:06 am
(@ezekielmoist)
Posted by: Jack

I've never understood how so many people hated that scene and that song.

Because year after year it's become cool to make fun of James and also cooler to think that song is ugly.  People can be so stupid.

That's one beautiful song.

There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air

Posted : 07/08/2017 7:16 am
(@chris_gorgon)
Posted by: Murat Erol Özkan

That was the point.  The childlike optimism of the lyrics placed in contrast to the BLEAK reality around them.

Posted : 07/08/2017 10:49 am