The Planet Lamp part 2

Page 1 / 2
(@b-randy)
Chief Moderator

Did anyone notice the little green lamp of a planet sitting next to Cooper in the scene with Laura, right before she gets taken away?

Any theories on that?

Posted : 31/05/2018 10:35 pm
(@brian_hardin_ii)

That same lamp also appears in Blade Runner (the original), it is referred to as a Saturn Lamp  and originates from the 1939 World's Fair.  There are a couple of variations as to color for it that can be found, but the one used in Twin Peaks is of green color.  There is also a white(ish) color that pops up frequently on ebay and usually goes between $150.00 and $200.00.  The green one, I've seen sell as much as $1200.00.

As for what it means in Twin Peaks..

"When Jupiter and Saturn meet"  In Season 2 Briggs is being questioned by Earle and Briggs states that "they will receive you when Jupiter and Saturn meet" then he says (backwards) "that gum you like is coming back in style". (not sure that that portion has any significance to the lamp, however).

the theory is that the Black Lodge (or at least the Red Room / Waiting Room) is on Saturn and that Jupiter is the location of the White Lodge, and that the red spot (major storm) on Jupiter is the Red Room "portal" side of the White Lodge.

Posted : 01/06/2018 12:11 pm
(@b-randy)
Chief Moderator

Ah, very nice.  Thank you.

I had never noticed it before and when I saw it last night, I couldn't stop seeing it. Weird how that happens. ?

Posted : 01/06/2018 12:50 pm
(@caemeron)

I'm not going to buy into the idea that the Lodges are *on* Jupiter and Saturn, but there is certainly every indication that those planets are important, and their astrological significance seems thematically relevant.

Posted : 01/06/2018 7:55 pm
(@lucas_bracci)
Posted by: Brian Hardin II

I've noticed that lovely lamp 25 years ago, before internet era.

Forgot it after so many years.

And remembered it when the original series + FWWM were released on Blu Ray.

Sometimes I take a look on eBay. But, yes the green one is the most expensive.

There is one actually. 1,000 bucks + 370 more for shipping and import taxes and it'll be mine. Well. I'm not Mr Jackpots.

On the glass, there are stars, crescent moon and little saturn planet.

s-l1600.jpg

I've found the carpet design "sandy" at Fireman and Dido's home.

Like at White Sands National Monument.

But, yeah, the shape on the carpet is closer to Jupiter  ground or clouds or storms.

Posted : 02/06/2018 6:19 am
(@lucas_bracci)

This is a video from the original series.

Someone in the comments says that the shadow on the curtains is the planet Saturn.

The Saturn lamp is beside Cooper.

Why not ?

1 mn 12 in the video :

Posted : 07/06/2018 10:32 am
(@b-randy)
Chief Moderator

I really can't believe I never noticed that lamp or that shadow before.  Now I can't unsee them!

Posted : 07/06/2018 1:40 pm
(@julie_loader)
Posted by: Brandy Fisher

What the hell is that weird shadow????

Posted : 07/06/2018 4:09 pm
(@b-randy)
Chief Moderator
Posted by: Julie Loader
Posted by: Brandy Fisher

What the hell is that weird shadow????

Saturn just passing through? ?

Posted : 07/06/2018 4:11 pm
(@julie_loader)
Posted by: Lucas Bracci

This is a video from the original series.

The Saturn lamp is beside Cooper.

Why not ?

1 mn 12 in the video :

1.  What does TMFAP  mean when he says "where we're from the birds sing  a pretty song"? Is this referencing Lelands singing?

2. He also says "she is my cousin, but doesn't she look like Laura Palmer? " MY cousin. Is Laura TMFAP in this scene?

Aaaaargh! !

Posted : 07/06/2018 4:13 pm
(@julie_loader)
Posted by: Brandy Fisher
Posted by: Julie Loader
Posted by: Brandy Fisher

What the hell is that weird shadow????

Saturn just passing through? ?

It's like a flag. What coukd it mean?

Also the flickering lights appear....

Posted : 07/06/2018 4:15 pm
(@b-randy)
Chief Moderator
Posted by: Julie Loader
Posted by: Brandy Fisher
Posted by: Julie Loader
Posted by: Brandy Fisher

What the hell is that weird shadow????

Saturn just passing through? ?

It's like a flag. What coukd it mean?

Also the flickering lights appear....

Yeah, dunno.  I am just as baffled as you are.

Posted : 07/06/2018 4:17 pm
(@julie_loader)
Posted by: Brandy Fisher
Posted by: Julie Loader
Posted by: Brandy Fisher
Posted by: Julie Loader
Posted by: Brandy Fisher

What the hell is that weird shadow????

Saturn just passing through? ?

It's like a flag. What coukd it mean?

Also the flickering lights appear....

Yeah, dunno.  I am just as baffled as you are.

Jeez I love Twin Peaks! ?

Posted : 07/06/2018 4:19 pm
(@dobbshead)

there's all kinds of interesting stuff in that dream sequence.  Bob is in that utility room with wheels and pipes - and there's ringing - when he mentions his death bag.  Sorta like a boiler room under a hotel, for instance.

Doesn't it seem like this death bag should have showed up somehow?  Or did it?

And then of course MFAP's cousin who looks like Laura.  Is Carrie Page his cousin?  I suppose Laura Palmer looks exactly like Laura Palmer too.  Is she a cousin because her parents are sorta Bob and Judy, with one of those being brother or sister to his maker?  Who are his parents then? - and brass tacks, who are the grandparents?  Experiment's mother - yikes.  Ungoliant

Later I think Coop mentions Mike and Bob (different Mike, different Bob) and he says that after Mike saw God he shot Bob.  How many times has Bob been shot, I mean damn.  Hard to picture a gun in the Red Room, or above the convenience store.  I wonder how that went down.

And of course the famous line that is like a sneeze that just won't launch: "But sometimes my arms bend back"...

Posted : 08/06/2018 1:40 am
(@julie_loader)
Posted by: Joseph McMurty

Doesn't it seem like this death bag should have showed up somehow?  Or did it?

Aaaaargh so many puzzles and possibilities!

Posted : 08/06/2018 2:07 am