David Bowie's line from FWWM was purposely changed

Page 1 / 4 Next
 Jack

In FWWM, from 1992, David Bowie's character Phillip says:

"Who do you think this is there?" when he points at Cooper.

But Gordon's dream changed the dialogue to:

"Who do you think that is there?"

I had to rewatch the original scene from FWWM to be sure, but Lynch altered this.  Why???

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:51 am The conversation is lively liked
Detective Moderator

It could be an intentional change.  But it is also indicative of memory.  It's been 25 years. He may be slightly misquoting intentionally or may Lynch things that's what should have been said anyway.

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:53 am Colin Basterfield, groofay and Erin Shahar liked
 Jack

But Brandy, the same David Bowie clip is being shown that was originally shown in FWWM back in 1992.  But the word "this" was verbally changed to "that"!

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:54 am
Detective Moderator

Again, could have been creative license.  But even though the clip is being shown, it's still being portrayed as a memory.

I'm hoping one of these days Lynch pops on the forum and explains some of these little things.

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:56 am Colin Basterfield, NeoQueenLidi, Paudris Log and 1 people liked
 Jack

There is a big difference between the word this and that though!

This = future

That=past

Is it future Brandy, or is it past?

But the change was intentional!  Lynch used an exact clip from FWWM and changed Bowie's dialogue!

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:58 am Pantstrovich and The conversation is lively liked

See other thread. It is a different take from FWWM, and can be seen in the Missing Pieces.

Edited: 2 months  ago

I AM the FBI.

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:58 am Mr Jackpots, wow_bob_wow, groofay and 2 people liked
Detective Moderator

Which other thread.  Show just finished for me less than an hour ago and I'm scrambling to keep up.

Posted : 14/08/2017 12:59 am Mr Jackpots liked
 Jack

Thank you MJ.  Sorry I was restarting an old thread...I just finished watching Twin Peaks too!

Now I have to rewatch the missing pieces

Posted : 14/08/2017 1:01 am
Posted by: Jack

Now I have to rewatch the missing pieces

Worth it! Missing Pieces is great!

At some point I want to rewatch DL intreviewing the Palmer family!

I AM the FBI.

Posted : 14/08/2017 1:04 am Pantstrovich and SamXTherapy liked

Maybe they couldn't get permission from the estate to use his actual voice? That didn't sound like Bowie's southern drawl at all. Seemed entirely superimposed over his voice. They didn't dub anything over on The Missing Pieces outtakes, though.

Posted : 14/08/2017 1:18 am
Posted by: shrrrrrrrrrrk

I think it was redubbed because all the "new" scenes with Jeffries will be audio only with whoever dubbed that voice

Posted : 14/08/2017 1:23 am vixy and shrrrrrrrrrrk liked
Posted by: shrrrrrrrrrrk

The rights to use an audio track from the film- any track or scene would be that of the rights holder of the film and related assets. At the time of the DVD release, the film was owned by MK2. I don't know if Lynch or MK2 or the original production company (CIBY?) own the masters and shooting material, but in any event- when you sign on to make a film, you sign away your rights to the recordings made of your voice and image during the production.

As Bowie was not able to shoot scenes or even record audio before dying, another voice actor was brought in to record Jeffries' new lines.

Edited: 2 months  ago
Posted : 14/08/2017 1:27 am shrrrrrrrrrrk liked

Was it Cole explaining, talking over Bowie's line or was it completely redubbed with a different voice actor? It sounded really different. I also think this is to do with the fact that Jeffries' voice will be important later.

Posted : 14/08/2017 6:33 am

If that wasn't Bowie, it was a very good voice actor.  Yes, the audio was different from the original scene but the voice was very much how Bowie's voice sounded in later years.

The change, though... could well be Lynch stressing the point it's a memory of a dream and not perfect recall.

Posted : 14/08/2017 6:41 am LaSono Cassée, Audrey Horne and Paudris Log liked
 ella
Posted by: Brandy

Haha, you may laugh but I really thougt our colleague Murat was Lynch or Frost in disguise (cheers Mate!). He's just so deep into interpretation that I used to shocked reading him.

Posted : 14/08/2017 9:00 am